RRM Design Group is seeking a Planner to join our multi-disciplinary planning, urban design, and entitlement practice to further and strengthen our policy planning services. The successful candidate will have strong policy skills across several subject areas and with an ability to lead a wide assortment of long-range planning projects. The planner will have experience in preparing a full range of publicly and privately initiated planning and development projects including general plans, specific plans, housing studies and implementation (including the preparation of housing elements), and development codes, as well as CEQA/NEPA documents. They will possess the ability to facilitate public meetings/workshops, author reports and studies, and process entitlement applications.
The ideal candidate will thrive in a collaborative environment working with multi-disciplinary teams, be focused on preparing quality work, and possess a strong ability to manage project teams and support business development. Desired traits include being proactive, energetic, a team player, and enthusiastic about being part of a growing and successful team. The candidate will have significant experience working with local jurisdictions, have a strong understanding of local land use regulations, and exhibit excellent strategic and critical thinking skills.
Your role looks like:
- Mentor and develop our team utilizing your solid understanding of CA land use and zoning laws, State housing laws, CA Environmental Quality Act, Subdivision Map Act, CA Coastal Act, and other policy related experience.
- Stay abreast of planning, legislative, and cultural trends to contribute to strengthening and building RRM’s planning practice and business opportunities.
- Manage and direct team members to manage complex planning studies and deliverables.
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, landscape architects, urban designers and planners to produce high-quality projects.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- A minimum of ten (10) years of planning experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree in community and regional planning, geography, public administration, environmental science, or a related field
- Knowledge of California’s current planning and development law and CEQA
- Problem-solving and strategic decision-making skills, effective verbal and written communication skills including public speaking experience, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Strong understanding of project management fundamentals and ability to exercise independence and judgment while receiving general supervision and support from senior management
We’re eager to learn more about your qualifications and interest in joining our team!
Ensuring the health and happiness of our RRMers is paramount to how we run our business. RRM Design Group is a 100% employee-owned multidiscipline design firm with a full spectrum of services including architecture, landscape architecture, planning, civil and structural engineering, and surveying. Our offices are located along the California coast from Orange County to the Bay Area. Over one-third of our workforce has been with us for a decade or more and we work on engaging projects in several diverse markets throughout the state.
We value the diversity of intersecting identities and strive to maintain an environment that is equitable, respectful, and inclusive. We expect our work environments to be places of diverse engagement and informed discourse. Ultimately, we acknowledge that our standards of excellence as a multidiscipline design firm are not separate from the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
The hiring range for this role is targeted at $115,000 – $141,000 per year depending on skills and experience.
Need more information about this position? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for quick answers to any questions.
What is an RRMer?
An RRMer (also known as an employee of RRM) is an individual who exhibits strong communication skills, cultivates a passion for what they do, is eager to learn, and likes to have fun! At RRM, our goal is to foster a community of collaboration and inclusivity, and each RRMer owns their contribution to this environment. In this job, you'll be working with people like:
100% Employee Owned
We Own This!
In 2018, RRM accomplished the pivotal goal of transitioning to a 100% employee-owned company. As an ESOP (employee stock ownership plan) corporation, once meeting eligibility criteria, RRMers have an ownership interest in the company. This is a direct reflection of our culture, one that is a supportive team. We are all striving to grow this company forward so that we can continue to create projects that promote sustainability and social good, giving back to our communities we live and work in and supporting staff so they can support their families. We are a team working together towards common goals.
RRM takes great care to offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Our package includes:
- 100% Paid Health Premiums for our Employees (Medical, Dental, & Vision)
- Paid Time Off
- Flexible work arrangements
- 401(k) with an Employer Match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Life, AD&D, Long Term Disability, & Long Term Care insurances
- Paid Holidays
- Volunteer Time Off
- Learning & development program, RRM University (RRMU)
- Mentoring opportunities and clear paths for career growth
- Unparalleled company community and more!
What Drives Us?
RRM’s mission and core values are the make-up of who we are and how we operate day-to-day. These values define our company culture and are the basis for all behavior and decision making. Head to Our Mission to see a description of all our core values and why we are passionate about Creating Environments People Enjoy.
“A solid company with good leadership and successful business practices.”