RRM Design Group is seeking a RRMer to join us as a full-time Senior Planner on our Planning team. The Senior Planner will help manage a wide range of development projects (including affordable housing, mixed-use housing, commercial, and hospitality projects) through the local agency discretionary review and entitlements process. The ideal candidate will thrive in a collaborative environment working with multi-disciplinary teams, be focused on preparing quality work, and possess a strong ability to manage project teams and support business development. The candidate will have significant experience working with local jurisdictions in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties, have a strong understanding of local land use regulations and housing policies, and exhibit excellent strategic and critical thinking skills to navigate the local land use approval process for a variety of project types.
Your role looks like:
- Having a firm understanding of CA land use and zoning laws, state housing laws, CA environmental quality act, subdivision map act, CA costal act.
- Possess a strong understanding of land use regulations, housing policies, and discretionary review procedures with various agencies within Santa Barbara and Ventura County.
- Navigating the development review, environmental review (CEQA), and public hearing processes to successfully achieve project entitlements.
- Collaborating with architects, engineers, landscape architects, and planners to produce high-quality projects.
- Having a strong understanding of project management fundamentals exercises independence and judgment while receiving general supervision and support from senior management.
- Helping mentor and delegate to support staff.
- Having excellent problem-solving and strategic decision-making skills, good verbal and written communication skills including public speaking experience, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Enjoy tackling challenges, bring intellectual curiosity, and thrive in a fast-paced setting.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- A minimum of seven (7) years of planning experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, real estate, geography, public administration, environmental science, or a related field.
- Knowledge of California current planning and development law and CEQA
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage project schedules and budgets
- Professional certification/registration preferred (AICP, CNU-A, LEED AP, etc.)
Above & Beyond:
- Master’s degree in related field
- Experience in the private and public sectors (development review and/or long-range planning
- Site planning and land planning skills
We’re eager to learn more about your qualifications and interest in joining our team!
*Psst…at RRM, we recognize that factors such as imposter syndrome or the confidence gap may deter some applicants from applying. However, we encourage you to apply anyways, as we recognize these restraints do not reflect an applicant’s abilities, and we don’t want them to get in the way of us meeting potential RRMers!
Ensuring the health and happiness of our RRMers is paramount to how we run our business. RRM Design Group is a 100% employee-owned multidiscipline design firm with a full spectrum of services including architecture, landscape architecture, planning, civil and structural engineering, and surveying. Our offices are located along the California coast from Orange County to the Bay Area. Over one-third of our workforce has been with us for a decade or more and we work on engaging projects in several diverse markets throughout the state.
We value the diversity of intersecting identities, and strive to maintain an environment that is equitable, respectful, and inclusive. We expect our work environments to be places of diverse engagement and informed discourse. Ultimately, we acknowledge that our standards of excellence as a multidiscipline design firm are not separate from the values of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Need more information about this position? Email email@example.com for quick answers to any questions.
What is a RRMer?
A RRMer (also known as an employee of RRM) is an individual who exhibits strong communication skills, cultivates a passion for what they do, is eager to learn and likes to have fun! At RRM, our goal is to foster a community of collaboration and inclusivity, and each RRMer owns their contribution to this environment. In this job, you’ll be working with people like:
We Own This!
In 2018, RRM accomplished the pivotal goal of transitioning to a 100% employee-owned company. As an ESOP (employee stock ownership plan) corporation, once meeting eligibility criteria, RRMers have an ownership interest in the company. This is a direct reflection of our culture, one that is a supportive team. We are all striving to grow this company forward so that we can continue to create projects that promote sustainability and social good, giving back to our communities we live and work in and supporting staff so they can support their families. We are a team working together towards common goals.
View Compensation and Benefits
RRM takes great care to offer a competitive compensation and benefits package. Our package includes:
- 100% Paid Health Premiums for our Employees (Medical, Dental, & Vision)
- Paid Time Off
- Flexible work arrangements
- 401(k) with an Employer Match
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Life, AD&D, Long Term Disability, & Long Term Care insurances
- Paid Holidays
- Volunteer Time Off
- Learning & development program, RRM University (RRMU)
- Mentoring opportunities and clear paths for career growth
- Unparalleled company community and more!
What Drives Us?
RRM’s mission and core values are the make-up of who we are and how we operate day-to-day. These values define our company culture and are the basis for all behavior and decision making. Head to Our Mission to see a description of all our core values and why we are passionate about Creating Environments People Enjoy.
“A solid company with good leadership and successful business practices.”