RRM Design Group is currently seeking a full-time Senior Planner to join our Planning team. We are looking for an individual who is motivated to advance equity and create great places.
The successful candidate will help manage a wide range of development projects (including affordable housing, mixed-use housing, commercial, and hospitality projects) through the local agency discretionary review and entitlements process. The ideal candidate will thrive in a collaborative environment working with multi-disciplinary teams, be focused on preparing quality work, and possess a strong ability to manage project teams and support business development. The candidate will have significant experience working with local jurisdictions in Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties, have a strong understanding of local land use regulations and housing policies, and exhibit excellent strategic and critical thinking skills to navigate the local land use approval process for a variety of project types.
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a strong understanding of CA land use and zoning laws, state housing laws, CA environmental quality act, subdivision map act, CA coastal act.
- Possess a strong understanding of land use regulations, housing policies, and discretionary review procedures with various agencies within Santa Barbara and Ventura Counties.
- Have experience navigating the development review, environmental review (CEQA), and public hearing processes to successfully achieve project entitlements.
- Collaborate with architects, engineers, landscape architects, and planners to produce high-quality projects.
- Possess a strong understanding of project management fundamentals, exercise independence and judgment while receiving general supervision and support from senior management.
- Help mentor and delegate to support staff.
- Have excellent problem-solving and strategic decision-making skills, good verbal and written communication skills including public speaking experience, and strong interpersonal skills.
- Enjoy tackling challenges, bring intellectual curiosity, and thrive in a fast-paced setting.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of planning experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, real estate, geography, public administration, environmental science, or a related field.
- Master’s degree in related field (Preferred)
- Experience in the private and public sectors (development review and/or long-range planning) is preferred but not required
- Knowledge of California current planning and development law and CEQA
- Site planning and land planning skills are desired but not required
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage project schedules and budgets
- Professional certification/registration preferred (AICP, CNU-A, LEED AP, etc.)
Ensuring the health and happiness of our RRM family is paramount to how we run our business. RRM Design Group is a 100% employee-owned multi-discipline design firm with a full spectrum of services including architecture, landscape architecture, planning, civil and structural engineering, and surveying. Our offices are located along the California coast from Orange County to the Bay Area. Over one-third of our workforce has been with us for a decade or more. Our professionals work on engaging projects in several diverse markets throughout the state.
RRM offers a generous benefits package, including 100% paid health premiums for employees, remote work arrangements, employee stock ownership plan (ESOP), 401(k) with an Employer Match and much more!
We’re eager to learn more about your qualifications and interest in joining our team!